The growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.
-George Eliot

Friday, February 26, 2010

looney.

so recently, i have had quite a bit of time to myself. it's funny because i have always been one to thrive in the quiet. i find joy in silence. even when i'm with people i value those quiet moments. i think one of the greatest indicators of a good friend is when you can sit in a car or be in each other's presence and say nothing. being together is simply enough. filling up the quiet with endless chatter just isn't necessary. now don't get me wrong, on any given day i can be a motor mouth with the best of them (really, just ask kailey). but i've always been recharged by the quiet moments in my life.

but while the quiet is usually so fulfilling for me, recently i have become acutely aware that when it's quiet, i'm usually alone. now this may seem like a pretty obvious observation to some, but it has seemed pretty profound to me. usually it's during these times that it becomes pretty easy for me to get lost in my own thoughts and world. so essentially i've come to 2 conclusions:

the first is that i don't think i enjoy quiet as much as i once did. i think that i still need it from time to time so that i can relax and recharge, but i think i'm coming to realize that pretty soon, my life will consist of nothing but quiet. we are all going our separate ways soon enough, and then my world will be quieter than i've known it to be for a very long time.

the second is how much i love my kitty. ok, this sounds lame and kind of crazy cat lady-esque and know that i almost backspaced and didn't include it in my little revelations, but it really is true. let me explain. luna is ALWAYS excited to see me when i come home. she meows and sprints for the door as soon as she hears me. anytime i'm sitting down, she's no more than 3 feet away from me. she spoons with me when i sleep (and i must say i never thought i would enjoy being the big spoon), and she follows me from room to room making sure that she has a constant tab on what i'm up to. she's here when no one else is. and might i add she's slightly crazy, so she does ridiculously weird and funny things that i am often fortunate enough to catch on camera. despite what a little freak she is, i love her, and she really does make me feel like i'm not as lonely when everyone else is away.

so while i am so thankful for great friends and yes, i'm still grateful to have quiet time, it's also nice to have a little snuggly buddy around that's never mad at you (except when i put her in her kennel to take her somewhere), annoyed by you, or trying to look for someone better or more interesting than you.


No comments:

Post a Comment